Project Lyme respects your privacy and are committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy.
This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit projectlyme.com (the “Site”) and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information we collect:
• On this Site.
• In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and this Site.
• Through mobile and desktop applications you download from this Site (if any), which provide dedicated non-browser-based interaction between you and this Site.
It does not apply to information collected by:
1. us offline or through any other means, including on any other Site operated by Project Lyme or any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries); or
2. any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries), including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from or on the Site.
Children Under the Age of 13
Our Site is not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any information to or on the Site. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on this Site or on or through any of its features/register on the Site, make any purchases or donations through the Site, use any of the interactive or public comment features of this Site or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Site, including information:
• by which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, and credit or debit card number (“personal information”);
• that is about you but individually does not identify you; and/or
• about your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Site and usage details.
We collect this information:
• Directly from you when you provide it to us.
• Automatically as you navigate through the Site. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies.
Information You Provide to Us
The information we collect on or through our Site may include:
• Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Site. This includes information provided at the time of making donations on our Site, subscribing to our services, posting material, completing surveys, logging your activities and/or actions, or requesting further information. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our Site.
• Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
• Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
You also may provide information to be published or displayed (hereinafter, “posted”) on public areas of the Site, or transmitted to other users of the Site or third parties (collectively, “User Contributions”). Your User Contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. Please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of other users of the Site with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with our Site, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
• Details of your visits to our Site, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Site.
• Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
The information we collect automatically is statistical data and may include personal information, or we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our Site and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
• Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
• Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Site according to your individual interests.
• Speed up your searches.
• Recognize you when you return to our Site.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
• Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Site may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from, and on our Site. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies.
• Web Beacons. Pages of our the Site and our e-mails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit Project Lyme, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related Site statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain Site content and verifying system and server integrity).
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
• To present our Site and its contents to you.
• To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
• To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
• To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
• To notify you about changes to our Site or any products or services we offer or provide though it.
• To allow you to participate in interactive features on our Site.
• In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
• For any other purpose with your consent.
Disclosure of Your Information
We will not sell, rent, trade, license or otherwise disclose your specific personal information or financial information to third parties, except that: (1) we use third parties to perform specific functions on our behalf and may disclose information to help those parties perform their services; (2) we must disclose your name and credit card number and information to financial services and credit card processing companies in order to process your orders and donations; (3) we may be required to disclose such information in response to a legal process, order or investigation (for example, a subpoena or court order); (4) we may disclose personal information where disclosure is necessary to protect our legal rights or to protect Project Lyme or others (for example, in order to reduce the risk of fraud or illegal activities); and (5) we may acquire, merge with or be acquired by another company or we might sell some or all of our assets, and, in such a case, your personal information may be included in the transferred business assets. Also, in the event of our bankruptcy, insolvency, reorganization, receivership, or assignment for the benefit of creditors, we may not be able to control how your personal information is treated, transferred, or used and your personal information may be included in the transferred assets. We may sell, rent, trade, license, use and disclose all non-personal information and aggregate information, so long as such information does not personally identify you or any user, to any third party for any purpose, including, but not limited to, research and analytical purposes.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You may send us an email at email@example.com to request access to, correct or delete any personal information that you have provided to us. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
If you delete your User Contributions from the Site, copies of your User Contributions may remain viewable in cached and archived pages, or might have been copied or stored by other Site users.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our Site that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Security of Personal Information
We take precautions and have implemented certain technical measures intended to protect against unauthorized access to, disclosure of, and unlawful interception of personal information submitted via the Site. However, your communications containing personal information may be unlawfully intercepted or accessed by third parties and/or the Site may be subject to network attacks or malfunctions. We cannot and do not guarantee the security of any information transmitted over the internet. Once we receive your personal information, we take steps that we believe are reasonable to limit access to your personal information to only those employees and service providers whom we determine need access to the personal information to provide the requested products, services, offers or opportunities that may be of interest to you or that you have ordered. However, even after we receive your personal information, we cannot and do not guarantee that your personal information will not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed as a result of a breach of our security efforts or as a result of any other event beyond our reasonable control. Accordingly, we cannot and do not guarantee that your personal information or any other information is completely secure and safe from any risk.
Links to Third-Party Websites